May 7th - 14th 2023
3 payments of $660
Discover unforgettable experiences in Tunisia!
Join us on an adventure-filled trip where you will have the opportunity to immerse yourself in a new culture, assist HCI with their on-ground projects, and make a meaningful impact.
Don’t miss out on this unique opportunity to discover all that Tunisia has to offer!
You will have the opportunity to participate in meaningful volunteer projects including building a library in a remote school, distributing physical activity items to students living in a remote village, visiting a self-sustainable program that trains rural women on how to breed and raise goats to be financially independent, and visiting the school chimney project.
You will also have the chance to discover the beauty of Tunisia by fully immersing yourself in the local culture, learning about customs and traditions of the people, and other fun activities like scuba diving in the Mediterranean Sea, and horseback riding on the mountains.
10 Reasons Why You Should Travel With HCI
- Personal growth and development: Step out of your comfort zone and gain new perspectives and skills that can help you grow personally and professionally.
- Cultural exchange: Immerse yourself in a new culture, learn about different ways of life, and make connections with people from different backgrounds.
- Sense of purpose and fulfillment: A sense of purpose and fulfillment as you contribute to a cause that is meaningful to you and make a positive impact on the lives of others.
- Language skills: Opportunity to learn or improve your language skills as you communicate with locals and work on projects in a different language.
- Resume builder: Make your resume stand out and show future employers that you have cross-cultural experience, adaptability, and a willingness to take on new challenges.
- Broaden your horizons: Expose yourself to new ideas, customs, and ways of life that may broaden your understanding of the world.
- Build leadership skills: An opportunity to take on leadership roles and learn valuable leadership skills as you work with others towards a common goal.
- Make a difference: Make a difference in the lives of others and contribute to a cause that is important to you.
- Networking: Opens up new connections and opportunities for networking with like-minded individuals and organizations.
- Fun and adventure: A fun and exciting adventure that allows you to explore new places, try new things, and create lasting memories!
- Build a library in a remote school
- Prep + distribute items to students at remote school
- Host English storytime for students
- Visit HCI’s school chimney projects
- Visit HCI’s GREAT project + meet the goats
- Scuba diving
- ATV riding
- Horseback riding
- Tabarka city walking tour
- Local cultural/cuisine activities
WHO CAN APPLY
- 18+ years old
- Physically fit for extended walking/standing
- Mentally prepared for foreign travel & cultural differences
- Raise 90% of fundraising goal 3 weeks prior to departure
- Provide police clearance check
- Attend virtual program & fundraising workshops
- Attend virtual/in-person onboarding
- Obtain travel insurance (mandatory)
FUNDRAISING GOAL $1000
As a volunteer, you are expected to raise the required amount of funds to participate in the program. These funds will be used to support all the on-ground projects in Tunisia that you will be participating in.
First time fundraising? Don’t worry, we will give you all the tools and support you need to reach your fundraising goal!
Program Fee: $1980
3 Payments of $660
$2,250 (until Feb 28, after which price will increase)
- Roundtrip flight (departure from Montreal – YUL)
- Shared accommodation
- Ground transportation
- Selected meals
- Program activities/ tickets
What’s not included:
- Travel insurance (required prior to departure)
- Travel vaccines (optional)
- Personal expenses
- Souvenir/gift shopping
- Expenses outside of the trip (peraonal day tours, upgrades, extra meals, overweight baggage, etc.
- The program fee policy for this trip is designed to make the trip more affordable for participants. To achieve this, the policy includes a nonrefundable deposit and two additional installments.
- The deposit is required to secure a spot on the trip and will be used to cover the cost of initial expenses such as reservations. The two additional installments are due on specific dates, as outlined in the program structure.
- If a participant fails to pay an installment on the due date, they will be immediately removed from the trip. This is intended to ensure that the cost of the trip is paid in full and that all participants have the necessary funds to participate.
- The program fee policy also includes a refund policy, which states that the last day to request a refund is April 7th. This means that if a participant decides to withdraw from the trip and wants a refund, they must make their request on or before April 7th.
- Any refund requests made after this date will not be honored. This policy is in place to ensure that the trip organizers have enough time to make necessary adjustments and to ensure fairness to all participants who have made timely payments.
DAY 1: Arrive at Montréal-Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport (YUL) to board your flight to Tunisia, and begin your adventure!
DAY 2: Once you arrive, you will be greeted by the team and taken directly to the coastal city of Tabarka. Upon arrival, you will check into your hotel and have a chance to rest. In the evening, there will be a program review and a welcome dinner. The Mediterranean city of Tabarka will serve as the perfect backdrop for the start of your journey. (D*)
DAY 3: Start your morning with a scuba diving adventure in the Mediterranean Sea, a truly once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to discover the underwater world. After exploring the coastal town on foot and visiting the natural wonder known as the needles, you will drive up into the mountains to participate in the creation of a traditional Tunisian dish while taking in the breathtaking view of the sea as the sun sets. (B,L,D*)
DAY 4: After enjoying an early morning breakfast, you will embark on a drive across the mountains to a remote school where you will participate in the transformation of an empty room into a fully-functioning library for students! This will involve tasks such as painting and assembling furniture. After returning to Tabarka, you will take a well-deserved break before meeting up with the team for dinner at the harbor. This will be a fulfilling and meaningful day of giving back to the community (B,L,D*)
DAY 5: After a hearty morning breakfast, gear up for an exciting start to the day with an ATV circuit through the mountains. The rest of the day is yours to enjoy as you please. Lunch and dinner are not included, giving you the freedom to explore local restaurants and try out food and shopping options Tabarka has to offer. Take a trip to the beach, go shopping, visit an art museum, or simply wander the city and see what it has to offer. The day is yours to do as you choose. (B*)
DAY 6: Get an early start to the day with a drive up into the mountains to visit a remote school in a low-income area supported by HCI’s chimney projects. You will have the chance to get hands-on, preparing gifts and distributing them to the students. You will also have the opportunity to host a storytime for the students in English, Arabic, or French. After a lunch break, you will visit a local mosque for Jummah prayer. From there, it’s a beautiful drive across the mountains to a breathtaking hike. You will also visit the farms in the mountains as part of HCI’s GREAT project and meet the goats. This will be a day filled with meaningful activities and stunning sights. (B,L,D*)
DAY 7: On your final day in Tunisia, you will begin with an early morning breakfast before setting off on a drive to Beja. You will stop for lunch at a local restaurant and enjoy a horseback ride through the mountains. From there, you will continue your journey to the capital city of Tunis. At the local office, you will have some free time to relax and try out a traditional hammam bath. In the evening, you will visit the bustling city center for a farewell dinner and have some time to explore before returning to the office for your final preparations and departure to the airport. This will be a day filled with adventure and relaxation as you say goodbye to Tunisia. (B,L,D*)
DAY 8: You’ll head to Tunis International Airport for your flight back to Montreal (YUL), arriving later the same day.
B = Breakfast
L = Lunch
D = Dinner
Please keep in mind that the itinerary may be altered due to various reasons such as weather or group capabilities. We will make every effort to follow the schedule but cannot be held liable for any sudden changes. The decision for any changes will be made by the team leader
Zakat al-Mal (commonly called “Zakat“) is due when a person’s wealth reaches the nisab amount and can be paid anytime during the year. Most people pay it during Ramadan. Zakat al-Fitr is paid by the head of the household for each member of the family, before Eid al-Fitr prayer. Zakat al-Fitr is about the price of one meal — estimated at $10 in 2017.
The heads of the houshold pay Zakat-al Fitr for their dependents. Otherwise, if there are no dependents, one pays for oneself.
Abdullah Ibn ‘Umar said that the Holy Prophet (peace be upon him) ordered the people to pay Zakat al Fitr before going to the Eid prayer. (Bukhari)
The recipients of our Zakat al Fitr donations are the poor. The 10$ we donate assist the poor and those in need with supplies of food and meals.
As agents, we take your donation to buy and distribute food on your behalf. In the past, Muslims would donate raw food supplies rather than money. Now, with your money donation, we can fulfill your obligations and meet the needs of the poor.